The Silicon Valley Bicycle Exchange takes the threat and risks of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) very seriously.
We provided an update on Friday, March 6, on restrictions planned for our workdays, starting this Saturday, March 14th, but based on current events, we are changing our plans and guidance.
While we are dedicated to repairing bikes, teaching repair skills and ensuring those in need have reliable transportation, the overall health of our community is paramount. With this in mind, we have made the following changes:
At the Bicycle Exchange events, starting immediately and until further notice, we are closed to the following:
- Volunteer groups from external organizations
- Bike repair by volunteers who need instruction or mentorship
On open Saturdays and each Wednesday, we currently plan to remain open for only these specific use cases:
- Experienced, repeat volunteers who want to drop by to check out a bike, work stand and tools for home bike repair
- Solo, self-sufficient bike repair, likely outdoors in our parking lot, using our portable work stands and pop-up tents (canopies)
- Retail sales, by appointment
Our open hours and days may also be reduced, and we'd like to temporarily pause receiving bike donations due to space constraints. Please check our calendar before coming to our facility.
While the joys of bike repair, skills sharing, socializing and donating bikes are what we all crave from our usual gatherings, protecting the overall health of our volunteers and the greater community is our top priority.
Thank you for your understanding.
Stay safe, healthy and perhaps enjoy a nice bike ride.